Playing for Cake aims to:
- Promote better health and wellbeing for all ages and abilities through singing and music-making with others.
- Provide fun, interactive music sessions that encourage participation and increase physical activity by using the voice, movement, percussion and/or props.
- Work with people living with a range of social, physical or emotional conditions and their carers to help bring about the wide range of known social, emotional, physical and mental health benefits that singing and music-making with others can bring.
- Work with health care professionals and community group leaders to understand particular health issues, where necessary, in order to design musical activities that can help bring about specific health needs or goals.
- Support local musicians by helping them develop their musicianship and confidence by helping lead sessions. In addition, we aim to help capacity-build by helping musicians develop as singing for health practitioners. Session volunteers/musicians may also be people from the target groups of people that PFC aims to work with, i.e. people living with particular health conditions or disabilities and we already have some ex-participants who have moved on to lead songs or sessions!
Playing for Cake is a social enterprise and operates on a not-for-profit basis to keep sessions at a low cost (if not free) to participants where possible. Fundraising activities include delivering sessions at the full market rate to groups with the ability pay (and thus where a proportion of the fee can be used to fund other sessions more cheaply or for free). We also make grant applications, do our own fundraising activities and look for corporate sponsorship or private donations etc.
We need funds to pay core costs including insurances and accountancy/legal expenses in line with our requirements as a registered Community Interest Company. We also need funds to pay session-leaders and singing for health practitioners as well as volunteers’ expenses. This is important if we are to be able to be sustainable and recruit staff.
Playing for Cake Community Interest Company No: 10447832